The series follows Umaru Doma, a high school girl who moved in with her older, hard-working brother Taihei, At school, Umaru appears to be the ideal student with good looks, top grades, and a lot of talent.
Over the course of the series, Umaru's alternative personalities help her become friends with her female classmates Kirie Motoba, who has a reputation of glaring at people; and Sylphynford Tachibana, a competitive school rival - both of whom turn out to be little sisters of Taihei's coworkers, and her very shy, busty friend Nana Ebina who lives by herself in the ground floor Yoshida apartment's below the Domas.
Easter Eggs/References Edit
- She owns a PP3 (a reference to PlayStation 3), a unnamed PSVita Console, and another unnamed PSP.
- In the opening sequence of the anime, there are four references to the popular video game series:
- 1st Part: Pokemon
- 2nd Part: Mario Kart
- 3rd Part: Monster Hunter
- 4th Part: Disney Tsum Tsum
- Umaru and Sylphynford's favorite gaming spot is PLAZA GAPCOM, which is a misspelled reference to Plaza Capcom located at Kichijoji, Japan.
- Umaru's favorite shounen manga, Shounen Jumpu, is a reference to Weekly Shounen Jump, known for the most-popular, and well-known manga releases like Dragon Ball, Yu-Gi-Oh!, One Piece, Gintama, Hunter x Hunter, Bleach, and Naruto. In fact, "Jun Piece", which runs in "Jumpu", is a parody of One Piece.